Monday, May 28, 2007

Long Island

5-28-2007



A train trip to Long Island on the Long Island Rail Road, to Ronkonkama. My friend Ed, a fraternity brother from OSU that I had not seen in 30 years picked me up at the station, and we went to lunch, then to the beach.

The beach was nice, and very crowded. It was a cloudy day when we got there, but the sun came out and the people kept coming and going.

Later, we drove to Port Washington, a quaint coastal town with shops and restaurants all near the dock area. Very nice.

Then it was time to return to the skyscapers of New York City. Quite a change from the low buildings out on Long Island, and the busy, but certainly not hectic road traffic.

One thing I certainly noticed on the train. The closer to NYC, the higher the buildings became, with more garbage and junk along even the railroad line areas. Sure seems like they could clean that up for a better image.

Rather than wait for the late trains, which would probably be quite busy after a holiday weekend, I hopped on the 5:37pm, and therefore ate dinner back in NYC. Dinner was then at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in their restaurant.

The lobster bisque was among the best I've ever had.

Then came the Chilean Sea Bass..... which was absolutely fabulous.

I've been disappointed in hotel restaurants before, but certainly not in this one. Very good !
The day overall was quite enjoyable and restful. I'd been through part of Long Island before, but not really stopped to enjoy it. I hope to again in the future.