Sunday, August 20, 2006

16 days after surgery

8-20-06

Here I am, 16 days after surgery, and have not left the house since I got home from the hospital. Seems like I move from the computer, to the TV, to the couch to read, to the table to open mail / pay bills, to the area to exercise, to the bed, and start all over the next day. Not much to change the routine most days, although some days have had some activity here besides the physical therapist. I had some work done that needed to be done, such as checking out the AC units, correcting a problem with the TV system, etc., while I've been home, so that's a good thing.

I've been eating well, and quite healthfully. Is that a word ? heheh. My longtime friend Ken that does catering has been bringing in meals twice a week, for my lunches and dinners, and they are quite good, and nutritious. I do not go hungry, for sure.

The swelling in the right leg is down some, though it is still much larger than the left leg. The literature they sent home with me said to expect the swelling to continue 3 - 5 weeks, so it is not unusual. There is still some soreness there, more tenderness really, and more above the knee, than the actual knee itself. During exercises though, it can be rather painful, especially right in the kneecap area. Overall, I'm doing good, and getting around fine, though still with a walker, and it appears I'll be using that another few weeks perhaps. They want to keep me at 50% weight bearing on that right knee for sometime yet.

I was hoping to at least get back into work even if just part-time this coming week, however, not sure that will happen. My physical therapist will be back on Tuesday, for her last "insurance covered" visit. After that, it appears I will be transported to physical therapy, probably at the EOOC office, where my Doctor is located. She will have all the information for me when she comes out that day, unless she gets my insurance to OK some further home visits, in which case that will continue. Hopefully, I'll get some glimpse as to when I can expect to be released to ride in a car, leave the house, etc., at the same time. She could not comment on that Friday without checking with my Doctor's Physician's Assistant.

During my stay in the hospital, I gained about 10 pounds, much of which I attributed to the swelling in the right leg. As of this morning, I've dropped about 9 of those pounds, even with the swelling still up quite a bit. Guess the exercise is working off some pounds from elsewhere on the body. The exercises they have me do are on the right leg, of course. However, I've also been doing most of them on the left leg as well, since I was so far out of shape coming into this whole process. Otherwise my right leg would end up far ahead of the left one, which would be odd indeed.

Not much else to report. I've had some good phone calls from some good friends, as well as help when needed from my cousin Donna, my Mom, and the cat-sitter to do some things for me and / or bring me some things. Lori brought by a salad a week ago, and helped by mixing up some sugar water for my cat Allie who was going through an insulin overdose attack apparrently. Allie ended up at the Vet several days, and her dosage of insulin shot has now been reduced from 2-1/2 units to 1 unit. Cats are quite difficult to regulate at times, and for whatever reason, Allie suddenly needs much less insulin than she has needed for a few years. I'm just glad I was home to see the reaction she had, and that someone was there if I had needed to send her to the Emergency Vet that night. Curt has been a big help as well, calling every few days if I don't call him, and reassuring me about the progress I am making. Since he is a Physician's Assistant, though in another city, he's got some good insight as to what is going on, etc.

Just waiting to be set free for some outside time, even though I am glad I've missed so many of the 100F plus days we've had here. I understand it's supposed to only be in the upper 80's today, which should seem great compared to what we have been having, for those that get to be outside.

I'll be back out and around soon enough. I've just got to take it one step at a time, and follow directions, to maximize the results of the surgery, and it's benefits.

Wally