Sunday, July 09, 2006

o/` cuts like a knife............. o/`

7-9-06

Posting about impending surgery..... total knee replacement on my right knee..... scheduled for August 4th. I knew I needed to do it over 15 months ago after a visit to my orthopedic doctor due to a lot of pain and discomfort back then. However, he and I decided it was best to wait until after my gastric bypass surgery, so I could lose a large bulk of the extra weight, and therefore have an easier and more successful recovery.

My recent visit to him revealed on X-Ray that the condition had worsened, which was verified by me with the pain I do have, especially after standing or sitting long periods, or overuse of the knee walking, on stairs, etc. I had wanted to hold off until January, but now do not want to wait that long, when I could be enjoying the new knee for 6 months by that time.

My left knee is bad, but not nearly as degenerated as the right one. There is still some cartilage in the left knee, and therefore I was able to start a series of injections of a cartilage replacement substance. However, the right knee is too far gone for that to be successful or helpful. No cartilage is left at all. My Doc did give me a steroid shot in the right knee, which helped immensely, but is definitely a short-term fix. However, the shot has helped me get around better, and in less pain, and furthered my resolve to get the surgery done, and get it over with, and get on with my life. Of course, at this point, much of that will be re-claiming my life, as far as walking and exercise are concerned.

I will be in the hospital 2 to 4 days following surgery, then home 3 to 4 weeks. I will not be able to drive for 5 to 6 weeks, since it is the right knee being totally replaced. However, those are average times for patients, and my time may differ. Hopefully I'll respond well, and sail through it, and shorten the length of time down. Time will tell.

There is no good time to schedule such surgery. By doing it at this time, I will not be able to attend my cousins daughters wedding in Minneapolis, or join friends in Las Vegas for Labor Day weekend, or get up to my lake cabin for a month or nore. I may miss some of the early OSU Football home games, depending on my progress. However, any time I could schedule it, interfered with something, so I took a quick surgery date over making myself more miserable by waiting.

At least, I will get in some long quality time with the cats.

Wally