Tuesday, August 08, 2006

o/` I knee'd you.......... o/`

8-8-06

OK, so I butchered the 1970's rock group America's classic song title, from "I Need You", to "I Knee'd You". Someone had to do it.

I had my complete right knee replacement surgery on Friday, and was able to return home yesterday (Monday). I do have some pain, though mostly under good control from meds, and I make sure I stay ahead of it. I am moving slow, with a walker, and after 32 hours the cats are getting used to the fact that the clatter of the walker means I am headed their direction, and they had best move out of the flight plan.

When I got home yesterday, I was covered with cats for hours, but now they are tiring of me. I still have the cat sitter to give the 2 cats their insulin shots, and tend to the litter boxes, for an unknown period of time. I'll be following the Physical Therapists directions on when to do what, etc. My bandage was changed today, and will be again on Friday. At that time, if all looks well, as it did today, the nurse may also remove the 19 staples. That is not something I look forward to, although in the long run, it's better to get them out, of course.

The Orthopedic Hospital Of Oklahoma (81st Street South and Lewis Avenue in Tulsa) took good care of me, with private rooms, valet parking, room service, and great personnel working all hours. While recovering from surgery is never fun, they made it as painless and pleasant as possible, even when awakening me in the middle of the night to get my vital signs, etc.

I'll be at home 2 - 3 weeks, and on the walker until told otherwise. Hopefully in 2 weeks or so, I can return to work, even if just part-time. Anyone know of a good chauffeur ?? I won't be able to drive for 4 - 6 weeks after the surgery, as the leg operated on was the right driving leg. Even when I get to where I can ride with others, I'll need extra leg room, and to keep it at short distances initially. No long over-the-road truck driving for me until such time I'm properly released. Oh wait, I've never done any truck driving.

Hopefully I'll get to at least ride the the movie theater on occasion (1/2 mile), and then graduate on up to being able to go up to the lake cabin (1-1/4 hours) eventually. Regardless of what I want to do, I will follow the instructions, to the letter. Why do the surgery if I'm not going to follow the guidelines to get the maximum benefit and make sure I have gained all I can from the proceedure.

So in the meantime, I am at home for a few weeks. I'll get some things done around here that I have put off, though I obviously have to stay within the restrictions. All in all, it will be a good result, and I'll be able eventually to get out and around more, with walking, traveling, hiking, swimming, etc. All of that with more intensity, and less pain !!!

At the rate I'm going, I'll be completely replaced piece by piece by 2025. That's my Vision 2025. heheh.

Everything is looking up !

Wally