Friday, July 08, 2005

Eating Out

OK, it's been a week or so since my last post. But I've observed a lot in that week about eating out. It's tough, after the Bypass Surgery.

First, you are limited just in the amount you can eat.

Then, you are also limited with what you can eat, depending on how far along you are in re-learning to eat, etc.

Then you also have to try to find something on the menu, that is allowable, and not too much portion size ( or good to re-heat later ).

Finally, you get to sit there and watch the others you are with eat appetizers, offer you things you cannot have, and hope they are enjoying their liquor and then their dessert.

In short, it is tough to eat out at this point. Monday I do get to start on chewable foods, but even then, it is limited, and I need to work up to tougher to chew (digest) foods slowly. Still no fried foods, no sugary items, no liquor, no breaded items, and restrict the carbs.

Then there is also the issue of drinking enough water during the day. You are not to drink water 30 minutes before a meal, or 1 hour after (except sipping some), due to the restrictive size of the stomach, and water does take up space.

Just some ranting about the last week. I ate out more than usual due to being up at the lake for the 4th of July, and catching up with some friends, etc. However, I am finding it is more comfortable in some ways to just come home to eat, or take my food to work with me, etc. Still far too many places I know I cannot eat, due to their lack of menu items that are acceptable to those watching their intake. Seems like those restaurants would learn eventually, that more and more people are having the gastric surgery, or just watching what they eat in general. More healthy items on the menu should improve their business.

Oh, and keep the tortilla chips on your side of the table. heheh.

More later.........