Wednesday, June 29, 2005



This is my initial entry, but I am first backtracking the weight issue in recent months, as that is the purpose of this Blog...... to keep friends / family informed with my progress.

February 2005

I was at 485#. The highest ever recorded for me.

March 2005

I heard a commercial for a seminar on Bariatric Surgery, and made plans to go. From
then on, it was a progression of getting ready for the surgery, as I had to lose 35# JUST
to have the surgery, as the MRI unit had a 450# maximum weight limit.

April / May / early June 2005

I went through a variety of Doctor appointments of all sorts.... cardiologist, psychiatrist,
pullmonologist, etc, etc. plus blood work of course, and a gall bladder ultrascan, just to
get approved for actually being able to do the surgery by the Surgeon's office.

June 9th 2005

I was down to 451#, while dressed, so actually at 450# of below, and therefore ready
for my June 13th surgery date.

June 13th, 2005

I had to be at the hospital at 5am, for 7am surgery. I believe it actually started at
8:15 am or so, and it was over around 10:30am. I was out of it though until around
1:00 pm. Spend the night in the hospital.

June 14th, 2005

10:30 am I drank the barium or whatever liquid for the X-ray, to ensure that my
surgery was successful, and that there was no leakage. At that point, I could start
with ice chips, and on to water. Then I did get soup and jello for lunch. Late that
afternoon I got to go home !

June 17th, 2005

I got off the pain meds, except for taking them when I went to bed ( just for 3 more
nights though)

June 18th, 2005

Got out and was driving, though I did not go far or many places. Just to the post office,
and then to meet my buddy Diana and her son Nick to see "Batman Begins". Good

June 19th, 2005

I had visitors...... my cousin Donna and friend Lori, then later my buddy Curt and his
new wife Christie. The cats got a lot of attention that day. heheh.

June 20th, 2005

Back to work....... one week after surgery. Only left about 30 minutes early even.

June 23rd, 2005

My regular Doctor gave me a physical. No problems. All looked good. He was pleased.

June 27th, 2005

After two weeks on clear liquids only, I got to graduate to "soft foods" for the next 2
weeks. Then I should be back to chewable foods at that point, one month after the

June 28th, 2005

Went back to the Surgeons office for a 2 week checkup. Had lost 13 pounds. When I
add in the 35 I had to lose just to have the surgery, that is 48# total lose since March.

No regrets........ no problems........ and I had to do self-pay, as insurance would not
cover it.... silly, since I am already off all my medications, and the operation will save
the insurance company many dollars over my extended lifetime. Glad I did it !!!